Sunday, February 1, 2015

PERSUASIVE WRITING: Tooth Fairy vs. Santa Claus

I knew I wanted to come up with something creative that would really get my kids excited about their final persuasive writing piece to culminate the end of our persuasive writing unit. One of my team members mentioned seeing an idea online where students had to argue who had a tougher job: the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus. A-dorable. We couldn't find any actual printables for this, so of course, I made some myself!

First, we brainstormed some reasons why the Tooth Fairy works harder {my opinion: this girl wins, hands down. She touches nasty teeth and never gets a night off. Come on.} and then why Santa Claus works harder. They came up with some HILARIOUS reasons! One of my favorite reasons was in favor of the Tooth Fairy working harder: "The Tooth Fairy must spend a LOT of money on babysitters taking care of her kids every single night!" Hahaha! Who thinks of that?! Second graders do. They were SO passionate about their opinion and we had to have a chat about how to respectfully disagree with someone else's opinion. ;)

After brainstorming some of reasons for both sides of our argument on this graphic organizer, students used this graphic organizer to plan their Opinion, Reasons, Explanations, and Conclusion/Opinion Restated {OREO}.

Once they had their graphic organizers filled-in, it was time to write their "sloppy copy" persuasive essay. We conferenced and discussed how to make some reasons and explanations stronger, to really make sure our point was being made!

The final step in their persuasive writing project was to write their final copy on this final writing paper. These turned out SUPER adorable and made a great hallway addition to our clipboard displays. {Side note: These clipboard displays have been a LIFESAVER and mega timesaver for hanging up work in the hallway. Since it's SO easy, it forces me to actually rotate their work frequently, instead of just leaving things out there for months at a time. Not that I would have ever done that or anything ....}

Our hallway clipboard displays. Each student's name is mounted to a clothespin, making it SUPER easy to rotate work in the hallway.

Here are some of their final copies! I just love 'em.



This one absolutely CRACKED ME UP. 
"Then, she needs wings to go around. Last, Santa needs a sleigh. Ridiculous!"



The picture on this one was too cute. The Tooth Fairy is saying, "I like this girl's style!" talking about the little girl's room decor. Haha!


Look at that concluding sentence! :)

All of the products mentioned are available in my Teachers Pay Teachers Store, right here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Crafting-In-Cardigans

Some other great persuasive writing activities I used in my unit, all from Teachers Pay Teachers, are listed below!

*LOVED this. Will definitely use again.
*I also had my students write to persuade me that they deserved the night off from homework. Of course, if they gave GREAT support, I gave them the night off! Talk about motivation! ;)

Happy Crafting!
- Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment