Wednesday, May 4, 2016

If I Had a Fairy Godmother ...

My second graders have a VERY difficult time remembering transition words in their writing. Some friends like to write one LONGGGGGG paragraph and call it a day. They need constant reminders to use organizers and to re-read to see if their reader would easily follow along with their story.

To practice our transition words, introductions, and conclusions, we worked on a writing piece called "If I Had a Fairy Godmother". This tied in perfectly to our fairytale unit!

*You can find the template for this writing piece as a FREEBIE in my Teachers Pay Teachers store. Just follow this link.


This one cracked me up.
"If I had a Fairy Godmother I would wish for three things. First, I'd wish for a dog that didn't bark. Next, I'd ask for ice cream and cake that was good for me. Then, I'd ask her for a red car. That's what I'd do if I had a Fairy Godmother."


After organizing, conferencing, editing, and publishing, students were then able to create their Cinderella. Some of the boys took it upon themselves to create a pants-version of Cinderella's dress. Gotta love it. Aluminum foil was a BIG HIT for the shoes, although some of my girls decided to spend more time on their accessories than on their writing. ;)

I can't wait to do this project again with next year's group! It was simple, but adorable in the hallway, and great practice for those basic writing components.

Happy Crafting!
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment