Saturday, April 19, 2014

Must-Make Dish: Summer Chicken Salad

As the weather starts to {FINALLY} warm up here in Western New York, I have started craving summer foods!

I had been scouring Pinterest for new summer recipes and came across a recipe for Summer Chicken Salad. I really like chicken salad, but don't always love the number of calories that can sometimes come with this delicious dish.

That is when I came across The Pioneer Woman's Summer Chicken Salad. I have actually just recently become a fan of The Pioneer Woman. I really like some of the meals she makes, but find that I need to adapt most of them to be a little lower in calories/fat/sugar.

I thought this would be the PERFECT recipe for a girls' night with my mom and sister to accompany our wedding planning. {My baby sis is getting married next summer, YAY!}

Please excuse the lack of step-by-step photos {FAIL}. I had been up for 6.5 hours the night before with Sophie, as she cried all. night. long. after her spay surgery. Poor baby. Therefore, due to pure exhaustion, I threw this thing together {sans} photos. My bad.


Summer Chicken Salad

*The following ingredient list/step-by-step directions are how I chose to adapt The Pioneer Woman's recipe. For her exact instructions/ingredients, please follow the link to her recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts {grilled} *Season with salt & pepper.
  • 3 ears fresh corn on the cob {grilled}
  • 3 tablespoons minced, fresh dill
  • 2 stalks celery, finely diced
  • 1 medium red onion, finely diced *I recommend using a little less, if you aren't a huge onion fan.
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • Romaine lettuce leaves
For the dressing:
  • 3/4 cup feta cheese *I used reduced-fat.
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup half-and-half
  • 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup light sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Salt & pepper, to taste
Directions:
  1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill chicken until cooked through.
  2. Grill corn on the cob, with husks on. My husband followed Bobby Flay's Perfectly Grilled Corn on the Cob Recipe, as it was our first time trying this.
  3. Once corn is cool enough to handle, slice kernels off of the cob and place into a large bowl.
  4. Dice up red onion, celery, and dill, then add to your bowl. 
  5. Once chicken has cooled, slice into bite-size pieces. I sliced my chicken first, then shredded it slightly using two forks.
  6. In a separate bowl, combine all of your dressing ingredients together.
  7. Pour dressing over ingredients and combine well, folding everything in. 
  8. Toss in blueberries and lightly coat with dressing and other ingredients.
  9. Serve on romaine lettuce leaves. *Can also be served as a sandwich, or on crackers.
*Next time, I plan on using Greek yogurt as a substitute for some of the ingredients in the dressing {sour cream, mayo, & half-and-half}.

Everyone really enjoyed this {lighter} Summer Chicken Salad. 
It would be perfect for a baby or bridal shower, picnic, or even as a side dish at a cook-out.

Happy Cooking!
- Kristen



No comments:

Post a Comment